Every estate sale is unique; from the location to the inventory to the personality and style of the client. But, there are some universal tips that can help you through the planning process.
My top five:
1. Go through everything......the house, the attic, the basement and the garage....make the decision as what to sell and what to keep.
Clearly identify items that you do not want sold. Prepare to have these items removed prior to the sale, unless other arrangements have been made ahead of time.
2. Gather manuals and instruction booklets that go with items set aside for the sale.
3. Clean out personal items including personal documents, photographs, your child's art projects, sentimental items that are not to be sold. We'll keep an eye out for these things as we prep but sometimes, only you will know the significance of a handmade item.
4. Don't throw anything away! When we meet together, we'll provide recommendations as to what can be sold and what can't. You may be surprised at what will sell.
5. Prepare ahead of time to be away from the house prior to the sale. The process, most times, takes two weeks from start to finish. Once the sale is complete we will be in touch with you to let you know how it went. We will follow up on Tuesday after the house is emptied and broom swept to return all keys. The statement and check will follow at the end of the week.